[Gmsh] crash on 3D meshing (AW: Anisiotropic mesh in stacked layers)

Zenker, Dr. Matthias Matthias.Zenker at erbe-med.com
Fri Jul 12 08:48:47 CEST 2013

Hi Christophe,

thank you for the quick reply!
I have continued to experiment on my side. It seems that mmg3d can cope with internal surfaces if the mesh is not too fine. If I use h2/20 in my example (with the interface), gmsh doesn’t crash. It also seems that a larger absolute mesh width does not improve things: If I multiply all lengths by 10, I still get the crash, even with h2/20. BTW gmsh takes more time to do the 2D mesh with all lengths multiplied by 10 even though the number of triangles should be almost unchanged.
Could it be that the sudden change in mesh width in z direction is a cause of the problem? I might change my field definitions in order to have a more gradual change of mesh width – do you think this would help?

Matthias