[Gmsh] force scalar, visibility

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Fri Sep 6 19:11:33 CEST 2013

On 06 Sep 2013, at 11:01, "Luca Dall'Olio" <luca.dallolio at alneos.fr> wrote:

> Dear Gmsh Team,
>
> I do not understand how to correctly display a single component of a field, while filtering a single "physical group" in Gmsh.
>
> Here is our problem :
> We have some multiple component fields, the first one named "CARA    #CARCOQUE". The first component of this field is named "EP" : it is zero for any element, but the "SHELL_VOILE" Physical Group. It contains the thickness of surface elements.
>
> Since I would like to visualise this component alone, in Gmsh :
> - show only the first view, and hide any other
> - configure the view with "Force Scalar" in the View [0].Visibility menu, setting the first component as "0" and others as "-1"
> - check the Adapt Visualisation Grid, as suggested in the console messages
> - show only the "SHELL_VOILE" Physical Group, and hide any other (using the "Visibility" main menu)
> - hiding or showing mesh elements (Tools->Options->Mesh->Visibility) does not change anything

Hi Luca - Just don't check "Adapt Visualisation Grid" and everything should be fine (I have changed the misleading error message). You'll have to set the Range mode to "Custom" and click on the Min-Max buttons to recompute the Min-Max for that component, though.

(Note that you don't have to set the other components to -1; just set the component you want to see in the first field (here, 0): that's enough.)

With your file I see that the first component is constant, equal to 0.35. Is that correct?

Christophe