[Gmsh] High-Order Meshing

Rene Schneider rene.schneider at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Wed Dec 11 15:17:32 CET 2013

On 12/11/2013 11:53 AM, George Ntemos wrote:
> Dear Gmsh Development Team,
>

> My name is George Ntemos and I am a PhD student in the Aeronautics
> Department of Imperial College London. Our team is developing and
> applying CFD software, using gmsh for high-order meshing purposes.
>
> I am currently studying a flow case around a rod-aerofoil set-up and
> I've been experiencing some problems with high-order meshing. More
> specifically, the meshing algorithm fails to mesh in high order around
> the (spline-defined) aerofoil profile. Please find attached a
> lightweight .geo file of my configuration just for demonstration
> purposes. If one tries meshing this file in 3d and for order > 1, gmsh
> will warn that, to my understanding, the algorithm fails to properly
> converge at certain points, visibly resulting in quite severe
> discrepancies for a few elements (curvilinear on). It also warns that it
> cannot orient the normal for the two extruded surfaces of the rod
> (cylinder) boundary layer. It is worth noting here that I am
> experiencing none of the above problems when I am meshing in 2d. Since
> my 3d mesh is just a simple extrusion, I would assume that extending to
> 3d is just a trivial case of translating every operation along the 3^rd
> dimension. I am of course not particularly experienced in using gmsh
> however and I may very well be missing something here.

Hi George,

this reminds me of a bug upon which I stumbled myself. Sebastian Eiser
then pointed me to the bug report:
   https://geuz.org/trac/gmsh/ticket/184 (gmsh:gmsh)

As far as I know, this is still not fixed.

If you observe this with the latest svn version, you can add your
example to the bug report, to give it more weight.

Rene

       Dr. Rene Schneider

       TU Chemnitz, Fakultaet fuer Mathematik,
       09107 Chemnitz, Germany