[Gmsh] High-Order Meshing

George Ntemos george.ntemos11 at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Dec 11 11:53:12 CET 2013

Dear Gmsh Development Team,

My name is George Ntemos and I am a PhD student in the Aeronautics
Department of Imperial College London. Our team is developing and
applying CFD software, using gmsh for high-order meshing purposes.

I am currently studying a flow case around a rod-aerofoil set-up and
I've been experiencing some problems with high-order meshing. More
specifically, the meshing algorithm fails to mesh in high order around
the (spline-defined) aerofoil profile. Please find attached a
lightweight .geo file of my configuration just for demonstration
purposes. If one tries meshing this file in 3d and for order > 1, gmsh
will warn that, to my understanding, the algorithm fails to properly
converge at certain points, visibly resulting in quite severe
discrepancies for a few elements (curvilinear on). It also warns that it
cannot orient the normal for the two extruded surfaces of the rod
(cylinder) boundary layer. It is worth noting here that I am
experiencing none of the above problems when I am meshing in 2d. Since
my 3d mesh is just a simple extrusion, I would assume that extending to
3d is just a trivial case of translating every operation along the 3^rd
dimension. I am of course not particularly experienced in using gmsh
however and I may very well be missing something here.

Any help regarding these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Best regards,

George