[Gmsh] Do FreeCAD and GMSH work together?

Paolo Tricerri paolo.tricerri at epfl.ch
Mon Dec 16 16:35:30 CET 2013

Dear Sirs,

I am writing you because I have a problem trying to make FreeCAD
(opensource software for CAD drawing http://www.freecadweb.org/ ) and GMSH
working together. More specifically, my idea is to create a surface in
FreeCAD, save it as *.stl and then open it in GMSH to have the volumetric
mesh.

Well, so far it has not work and I wonder if any of you have had the same
problem. The steps I am doing are this ones:

- Create the surface in FreeCAD and save it as *.stl; as example I have
created a cylindrical surface in FreeCAD and attached it to the email. The
*.stl is saved in binary format from FreeCAD and i have noted that the
resolution is really poor.

 - Given the poor resolution, I would like to remesh the stl file in gmsh
before creating the volumetric mesh. To do this, I have followed the
tutorial about stl remeshing. I attach to the email the *.geo script I used
to remesh.

The problem is that the stl file is not remeshed at all. Any help? Another
question: has anybody imported CAD draws in GMSH? If yes, with which
software were they created?

Many thanks for the help,

Regards,

Paolo Tricerri