[Gmsh] problem with gmsh to Freefem mesh?

Geordie McBain gdmcbain at freeshell.org
Fri May 8 01:58:19 CEST 2015

> Thanks again Geordie,
>
> I forgot the freefem file, but it was just
> mesh Th = readmesh("freefem_mesh.mesh");
>
> so It seems the problem commes from my version of gmsh, I am still at 2.5
> I'll update it.
>
> or else Mathias mentioned optimize3D, what is the syntax/use of this option
> ?

Hello.  Yes, optimizing is generally a good idea for practical finite
element work (though I didn't do it in the last posted example - it
wasn't necessary to get a workable mesh from quadcan1.geo in my Gmsh
2.8.4).  Optimizing is available in the GUI, as mentioned, or via the
command-line options, "-optimize" or "-optimize_netgen".

http://geuz.org/gmsh/doc/texinfo/gmsh.html#Command_002dline-options

Maybe they're only for tetrahedra though.  I'm not sure whether
they'll do anything for a plane triangulation.  I see there's also a
"-optimize_lloyd" ("Optimize 2D meshes using Lloyd algorithm").
  I can't test here whether these fix the problem as I can't reproduce
the original error message on 2.8.4.
  I see that the latest stable is 2.9.3 so I should probably update myself.