[Gmsh] Patch: added export menu

Rui Maciel rui.maciel at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 12:16:42 CET 2016

Hi, everyone.

Exporting data to a file, whether it is a mesh definition or image, is
one of the main use cases of a mesh generator.  I also noticed that
the question of how to export data is posted often in Gmsh's mailing
list.  Right now, Gmsh provides this functionality through the "Save
As..." menu, and although this works well I've found that sometimes it
would be preferable if this feature could be used in a tad more
straight-forward way.

To make this use case a bit more straight-forward, I tweaked Gmsh's
file menu to add an "Export" menu, which includes options to export
the mesh, postprocessing info, image, or a movie.  This menu offers
users a clear way to do what they want to do, and the ability to
unequivocally discover where they need to go in the GUI to export
specific bits of information.

I've attached the patch that implements this feature.  The patch was
created with regards the current stable version (v2.11.0) as was made
available through Gmsh's site.

The patch adds the "Export" menu, the respective submenu entries, and
a callback for each export option.  The export callbacks were based on
the file_save_as_cb() callback function.

The "Save as" menu was left untouched due to potential implications
regarding backward compatibility.

If this patch is of any interest, feel free to use it.

Best regards,
Rui Maciel