[Gmsh] CFD mesh with prismatic boundary layer based on STL

Johannes Dillinger jojodillinger at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 00:38:11 CEST 2016

Dear all,

I am trying to generate a CFD mesh with a prismatic sub layer based on an
STL as the only input. Attached is the corresponding STL (a wing) and the
geo file as I prepared it up to now.

Reading the geo file in GMSH gui and hitting Mesh->3D does not produce the
desired output, and I dont know whats going wrong.. The volume is meshed,
and the wing surface boundary layer is meshed, but the two dont connect.

The STL consists of only one surface. Apparently, in the GMSH mesh
generation process, GMSH tries to remesh the STL surface, but it does not
succed.
I have tried to generate a remeshable surface from the STL via all sorts of
tricks described in many previous posts, but I cant get it to work..

Maybe someone can help with this problem, would be really great and save me
a lot of time..

Thank you very much in advance!
Kind regards,

Johannes