[Gmsh] STL remeshing and mesh refinement at defined points in gmsh

Lanz Natanael lanz at iwf.mavt.ethz.ch
Mon Dec 12 17:44:00 CET 2016

Hi everyone,

I'm asking for help, as I didn't find a solution for my problem after trying different work arounds. As nobody seems to reply on similar topics I just try it one more time ;-)

What I want to do:

-          Import a number of surfaces from a STL file (see the attached File "Facegear.stl")

-          Include a number of points in a certain surface number, to be able to change the mesh size (refine the mesh) in the area of those points by adopting the characteristic length of these points

-          Creating the surface boundary mesh by remeshing the 2D surface with the included points

-          Creating a volume mesh from the surface mesh

I attached the STL and GEO files I used for meshing as well as the resulting MSH file.

All comments and any help concerning STL and local mesh refinement are very very appriciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Natanael

Natanael Lanz
MSc Masch. Ing. ETH