[Gmsh] Help understanding MSH file entries while using "Periodic surface with translate "

Ranga Sudarsan sudarsan77 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 13:34:31 CEST 2017

Hi Guillaume,
   yes I have looked at the documentation to understand it but I cannot
understand it fully though.

The entries for the point entity  inside the $Periodic  I think I
understand (please correct me If I am wrong?).
For example:
0 8 1   //  0 indicating it is point, 8 and 1 are slave and master tag
entity
Affine 1 0 0 5 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1  // indicating the Affine
transformation to go from master to slave
1    // Number of entities
8 1 // slave node number, master node number

For the Line entity Inside $Periodic I have for example
1 12 2  // 1 indicating it is a line , Not clear what 12 and 2
correspond to as they are not corresponding node numbers
Affine 1 0 0 5 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1
43  // Number of nodes
xx  xx   // Matching node numbers

I cannot seem to understand 12 and 2 in the first line after 1 as 12 and
2 are not corresponding point/node numbers on the master and slave surfaces.

Likewise for the Surface entity inside $Periodic I have for example

2 8 1  // 2 indicating it is a surface, Not clear what 8 and 1 are
Affine 1 0 0 5 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1
3511  // Number of matched nodes between master and slave surfaces
xx  xx

Hope this clarifies my question better.

Thanks again for the help