[Gmsh] mesh refinement according to orography slope

Tumolo Giovanni gtumolo at ictp.it
Wed Jul 12 11:31:21 CEST 2017

 Dear all,

 thank you so much for your quick help,

 we've followed the tutorial steps. Using the .pos file from the tutorial
 you suggested we were able to get a mesh refined as expected.

 Then we've tried to create different .pos files (see attachments) closer
 to our needs.

 For example, distance.pos sets the distance from the boundaries as the
 field (the domain is the same as t1.geo). However, the mesh we get does
 not look good because it has some strongly distorted elements (very long
 in one direction) in a region (close to the right vertical boundary) where
 we would expect a refinement.

 In addition, in file distance_inv.pos we calculated the inverse of the
 previous field as 1 / (distance_val + 0.01) limiting to 60.0 the values
 too high. In this case, after merging the .pos file, and
 setting it as background mesh, the obtained mesh is even uniform.

 Can you detect errors in the attached .pos files?

 We cannot understand why the mesh is not refined where the background
 field assumes small values.

 Thank you a lot for your help!

 Best,

 Giovanni e Stella