[Gmsh] rotation of cube formed from extruded plane surface fails when meshed.

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Thu Oct 26 20:53:42 CEST 2017

Hi Mark,

Extruded meshes (using Layers) are only supported on the unmodified geometrical extrusion, both with the built-in and the Opens Cascade kernels. The reason is that the mesh is generated using the original extrusion specification (translation vector or rotation): if the geometry is modified this specification becomes invalid. In some simple cases it could be recomputed (e.g. in your example), but in general cases (the shape gets cut by another one) it cannot...

We will add an explicit point about this in the docs.

Thanks for the feedback,

Christophe