[Gmsh] ASCII mesh format

Yoann LE BARS yoann at le-bars.net
Thu Apr 12 16:48:56 CEST 2018

Hello everybody out there!

    I am Yoann Le Bars, I have worked at University Catholique de
Louvain on SLIM few years ago. Nowadays, I am running WaveWatch 3
(http://polar.ncep.noaa.gov/waves/wavewatch/) on unstructured grids. For
such grids, WaveWatch 3 is using MSH format. Therefore, I am using GMSH
tools (more specifically tools developed for SLIM) to generate my meshes.

    I am wondering if MSH format has been changed. According to the
documentation
(http://gmsh.info/doc/texinfo/gmsh.html#MSH-ASCII-file-format), each
node is described on one line by giving the node number, then values for
x, y and z. On a mesh I have generated recently (see file attached to
this message), after the node number, there is two real values, then
three integers values, then two more real values.

    The consequence is this is not the format WaveWatch is waiting for.
Also, I do not know where I can find the values I am looking for (being
x, y, and z). I guess there is first the node number, then x and y, and
z should be one of the two last values. But I am not so certain …

    Anyway, can anyone help me find my way out?

    Best regards.

--
Yoann LE BARS
http://le-bars.net/yoann