[Gmsh] .step file editing

Christophe Geuzaine geuzaine at gmail.com
Mon May 14 16:27:56 CEST 2018

Hi Marco,

Yes, you can edit STEP files: see e.g. https://gitlab.onelab.info/gmsh/gmsh/blob/master/demos/boolean/import2.geo <https://gitlab.onelab.info/gmsh/gmsh/blob/master/demos/boolean/import2.geo>. Notice the "SetFactory("OpenCASCADE") line at the beginning of the .geo file, which means that the STEP file will be imported as an OpenCASCADE model - we then provide all the classical functionalities to modify the resulting shapes (deleting parts, applying transformations and boolean operations, etc.), directly in the .geo file.

What we never do is translate between CAD kernels: so you will never be able to "export" to the native GEO geometry kernel (this kernel does not know about many of the geometrical primitives in the STEP format). You directly work with the native CAD representation of the geometry (here with OpenCASCADE). Future releases of Gmsh will provide the same kind of functionality with other CAD kernels, like Parasolid.

To export a "dead" (non parametric) version of your geometry, you should use the native "dead" format of the underlying CAD kernel. With OpenCASCADE, you just export as a BREP file, i.e. by adding

Save "output.brep";

in your .geo file.

Christophe