[Gmsh] Strange meshing behaviour

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at uliege.be
Thu Mar 12 08:28:56 CET 2020

Hi Peter,

I dug a bit deeper, and the issue is related to the "unification" of surfaces that is performed after a BooleanUnion operation, through the OpenCASCADE "ShapeUpgrade_UnifySameDomain" class.

This was added in Gmsh 4.5, and can be deactivated with

   gmsh.option.setNumber("Geometry.OCCUnionUnify", 0)

With this your geometry behaves as in Gmsh 4.4.1. It would be nice to update your report to the OCC folks to let them know that the bad surface is generated by ShapeUpgrade_UnifySameDomain.

Thanks,