[Gmsh] bad orientation

Ugis Lacis ugis.lacis at gmail.com
Thu May 14 13:54:55 CEST 2020

Dear Jose,

I think I have had similar error, when importing GMSH mesh into
FreeFEM++, few years ago (although it seems that the error message might
have changed). It turned out that the direction of loop definition in
GMSH was the issue for me. See below my exchange with FreeFEM++ mailing
list.

Maybe it can be helpful for you.

Best regards,
Ugis Lacis
Researcher
KTH Mechanics

Hi everyone,

I managed to solve the issue myself. It turned out that the direction of
GMSH loop was surviving till FreeFEM++ and while GMSH did not complain
about anything, FreeFEM++ couldn't use the mesh. mesh2 could be fixed by
changing signs in all lines within the line loop, i.e.,
change
Line Loop(5) = {18, 19, 20, 12, 7, 8};
Line Loop(5) = {-18, -19, -20, -12, -7, -8};

Maybe this helps to someone at some point.

Best,
Ugis