[Gmsh] ?==?utf-8?q? STL Mesh generation surfaces with inward normalnot meshed?!

Zuheyr Alsalihi alsalihi at vki.ac.be
Tue May 26 09:47:22 CEST 2020

Dear Christophe,

Thank you for your invaluable help. I have done that.

Best regards, Zuheyr

On Saturday, May 23, 2020 09:53 CEST, Christophe Geuzaine <cgeuzaine at uliege.be> wrote:

> On 12 May 2020, at 17:50, Zuheyr Alsalihi <alsalihi at vki.ac.be> wrote:
>
> Dear colleagues,
>
> I could not easily describe the problem.
>
> A rectangular slab step file that I have generated, attached CG1.step, shows the top and bottom surfaces inward normal.
> I am not able to reverse this.
> But the surface is there, see Pic1.png. When I create an STL mesh with GMSH gmsh-4.5.6-Linux64/bin/gmsh
> these 2 surfaces are not meshed. Can you please help me understand and solve this problem?

Somehow OpenCASCADE badly translates surface 5 in the STEP file. See attached .brep of the offending surface: all point evaluations within the surface are (wrongly) evaluated on a plane parallel to the surface, but translated.

You should report this bug to the OpenCASCADE developers and attach the STEP file.