[Gmsh] Error: Cannot reparametrize a mesh node in high order meshing

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at uliege.be
Wed Jun 24 11:36:01 CEST 2020

> On 24 Jun 2020, at 10:38, Mathias Scheunert <mathias.scheunert at mailserver.tu-freiberg.de> wrote:
>
> Dear developers and users,
>

> *** The goal
>
> we want to do some finite element convergence studies on a given set of models.
>
> These typically consist of large volumes containing small 'anomalies', i.e. volumes.
>
> (Please note the attached MWE)
>
> *** The problem
>
> In order to ensure valid boundary conditions we need to enlarge the surrounding volume, leading to huge contrasts between the sizes of the involved volumes.
>
> Using Gmsh 'RefineMesh;' will throw the above mentioned error.
>
> -> Please try using line 6 instead of line 5 in the MWE.
>

> What does that error message mean and how could we deal with that?

OpenCASCADE does not seem to appreciate the large aspect ratio during interpolation. As a workaround, set

Mesh.SecondOrderLinear = 1;

which will create the refinement by linear interpolation.

(Note that if you increase domain_r further to 100000000, OpenCASCADE simply seem to bail out...)

Christophe