[Getdp] repository of user examples

m.fenner at gmx.net m.fenner at gmx.net
Fri Aug 27 12:46:35 CEST 2004

Dear Christophe,

on April 24 2004 you asked for user examples. Here is something I could contribute.

To familiarize myself with the technique of finite element methods in general and particularly the handling of the getDP and gmsh software I solved a few problems of thermal transport for which (semi-) analytical or alternative solutions are available as a test. The examples in the getDP Wiki and the getDP archives were of great help, many thanks again to everybody. But reducing the complexity of the models (now one-dimensional problems mainly) helped me a lot in the beginning. I feel that other beginners like me might be happy to find some simple examples with a bit of description of what is happening.

For clarity I use a separate set of .geo and .pro files for each case. The alternative results are described in the pdf-documents. I also tried to comment on some stumbling blocks I encountered.

If this is what you had in mind, please feel free to use the files. I do not want to impose any restrictions on the use or redistribution of these files.

And then: there are still open questions in my problems. So I want to invite all users to advance this set of problems.

Best regards

Matthias

     Matthias A. Fenner

     email: m.fenner at gmx.net                     Hugo-Eckener-Str. 94
     fon: +49 6131 622 10 60                     D-55122 Mainz