Re-2: [Getdp] Warning from TransferInitSolution

m.fenner at gmx.net m.fenner at gmx.net
Tue Oct 12 12:28:27 CEST 2004

Dear Christophe,

I had some time to visit my wire / TransferSolution problem again. I tried to follow your suggestion using TransferSolution but still got no result.

What I tried is the following:

I DO NOT solve anything in the dynamical system but just "InitSolution [Tdyn]; SaveSolution [Tdyn] ;" (This starts the pre-resolution "ini" which gives the correct result when run alone.) After that I PostProcess and PostOperate. Then I'd expect to find the solution I got from the pre resolution via TransferSolution. Is that right or have I already messed up the solution by now? Some problem with my syntax e.g.?

I tried this with different Constraints:
a) just setting the Dirichlet constraints (if I understood your suggestion correctly)
b) AssignFromResolution
c) InitFromResolution

but never retrieved my pre-resolution result (see the attached files). But I am still not sure if the pre-resolution actually transfers the data to the system Tdyn - again the question: Where do I loose the information?

When I try to actually solve the dynamical system I get:
a) a rather weird result
b) "Warning   : Generated system is of dimension zero" and T=0 everywhere
c) the same result as a)

There is a work around (for 1-d Systems at least):

Export the data from the pre-resolution, and use the Init Constraint with the linear interpolation of these data. This gives a quite plausible result which actually answers my initial physical question. But a more general solution is desireable, isn't it? Unfortunately I could not get in touch with Ahmed Rassili yet to consult him on his experience.

As far as know there is no working example with TransferSolution in the mailing list archives, too. I shall attach the *.pro, *.geo, and *.dat files I used - just in case you find some time to look at this problem.

Best regards

Matthias

P.S. thanks for the hint concerning the magnetic flux in a sphere. It seems the texbooks on general physics are far too sloppy in their treatment of this stuff. You have to read the specialized literature.

Matthias

     Matthias A. Fenner

     email: m.fenner at gmx.net                     Hugo-Eckener-Str. 94
     fon: +49 6131 622 10 60                     D-55122 Mainz