[Getdp] @D axisymmetric electrostatic problem

Patrick Dular Patrick.Dular at ulg.ac.be
Wed Apr 6 18:53:13 CEST 2005

Nacho,

In your file, there is no particular treatment done on the
axisymmetrical axis. I understand that you have fixed non-homogenous
Neumann boundary conditions on some surfaces. Nevertheless, the
homogeneous Neumann boundary condition on the axisymmetrical axis is
implicit and does not need any explicit Galerkin term in the equations,
which is the case in your formulation as well as in Gilles' one. The
fact that you have added region 'SymAx' in the basis function support
has no effect.

The problem with a Neumann (or natural) boundary condition is that it
cannot be satisfied exactly, on any boundary of the studied domain. With
an electric scalar potential formulation, this Neumann B.C. is relative
to the normal derivative of the potential. In the same way, this normal
derivative will be discontinuous at the interface between each pair of
finite element. A way to improve the accuracy is to refine the mesh or
to increase the finite element order.

Best regards,

Patrick