[Getdp] basic permant magnet question - please help

Pei-Ying Hsieh pei-ying.hsieh at siemens.com
Mon Mar 19 15:56:45 CET 2007

Thanks a lot Matt, Oliver, and Luigi for the detailed (but important to
me) answer.

I get it now.

Best Regards,

Pei

Matt Koch <mattkoch at scitex.us>
03/16/2007 10:39 PM
Please respond to
mattkoch at scitex.us

Pei-Ying Hsieh <pei-ying.hsieh at siemens.com>
cc
getdp at geuz.org
Subject
Re: [Getdp] basic permant magnet question - please help

Hello Pei-Ying,

seems to me that for this equation to be true, the magnetic field in a
permanent magnet would have to be constant in space. Outside of the
magnet it is H = nu*B and B = curl(A), so H = nu*curl(A), but inside the
magnet, it is H = Hc, i.e. the coercive field. There may be a
simplifying assumption here, like assuming that the magnetic field
inside a solenoid is constant in space.

Regards,

Matt Koch

Pei-Ying Hsieh wrote:

> Dear GetDP users:
>
> I just started learning about magnetism.  I have a couple of basic
> questions that I am not able to figure out.  It will be appreciated if
> someone here can shed some light on this.
>
> I have a permanent magnet - no electric current in the domain.  I
> would like to calculate the magnetic flux density.
>
> I have found a 3D code posted by Jasper in 2006.  The questions are:
>
> 1. The governing equation for magnetostatics filed is:
>     Curl ( nu * Curl A) = J, where A is vector potential and J is
> electric current density.
>     Now, since there is no current, I will think that J is zero.
> 2. In the Formulation of getdp code (2D Magnetostatics example on
> getdp wiki),
>     it showed:
>        Equation {
>                     Galerkin { [nu[] * Dof{ Curl a}, {Curl a}]; In
> Domain; Jacobian JVol; Integration I1; }
>                     Galerkin { [hc[], {Curl a}; In Domain_M; Jacobian
> JVol; Integration I1;}
>         }
>
> How does {hc[], {Curl a}} come into the equation? I believe that hc is
> Coercitivity of the magnet?
>
> Thanks in advance for your reply!
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Pei

This message and any included attachments are from Siemens Medical
Solutions
and are intended only for the addressee(s).
The information contained herein may include trade secrets or privileged
or
otherwise confidential information. Unauthorized review, forwarding,
printing,
copying, distributing, or using such information is strictly prohibited
and may
be unlawful. If you received this message in error, or have reason to
believe
you are not authorized to receive it, please promptly delete this message
and
notify the sender by e-mail with a copy to
Central.SecurityOffice at siemens.com

Thank you