[Getdp] Neumann boundary condition

Tammo.Heeren at AlconLabs.com Tammo.Heeren at AlconLabs.com
Fri Mar 21 01:10:23 CET 2008

Hi Luis,

Thank you for your response and the code. I am working my way through it
to understand it.
Here is what I understand so far, please correct me if I am wrong.

---
1. Galerkin { [ Dof{d u} , {d u} ] ; In OMEGA ; Jacobian Vol ;
Integration Int ; }
2. Galerkin { [ -f[] , {u} ] ; In OMEGA ; Jacobian Vol ; Integration Int
; }
3. Galerkin { [ -g[] , {u} ] ; In GAMMA ; Jacobian Sur ; Integration Int
; }
4. Galerkin { [ Dof{u} , {uo} ] ; In OMEGA ; Jacobian Vol ; Integration
Int ; }
5. Galerkin { [ Dof{uo} , {uo} ] ; In OMEGA ; Jacobian Vol ; Integration
Int ; }
---

- GAMMA is a line surrounding surface OMEGA. Both are in domain DOMAIN.
- I assume that GAMMA and OMEGA share nodes
- div( grad(u) ) - f = 0 in OMEGA
- f is defined in DOMAIN, though I suppose you only have to define it in
OMEGA
- u is defined in DOMAIN as a Form0 FunctionSpace
- grad(u) comes for the Form0 FunctionSpace and the {d u} in the second
part of the Galerkin
- div(...) stems from the {d u} in the first part of the Galerkin
- the -f comes from the second Galerkin term

I don't understand where
> \frac{\partial u}{\partial n} = g in \Gamma
comes from.

- if GAMMA and OMEGA share nodes, than the Galerkin terms 1 and 2 are
also valid in GAMMA
- then have div( grad(u) ) - f - g = 0 in GAMMA

I am also a little fuzzy about Galerkin terms 4 and 5.
- I assume that Galerkin 4. simply copies the function space u onto uo
- u is defined as Form0 and uo is defined as Scalar (where is the
difference?)
- does Galerkin 5. then simply copy uo onto itself?

If anybody else can contribute some inside, I would be happy to hear it.

Gruesse,

Tammo

---
FunctionSpace {
    { Name FSU ; Type Form0 ;
        BasisFunction {
            { Name sn ; NameOfCoef un ; Function BF_Node ;
            Support DOMAIN ; Entity NodesOf[ All ] ; }
        }
        Constraint {
        }
    }
    { Name FSU0 ; Type Scalar ;
        BasisFunction {
            { Name so ; NameOfCoef uo ; Function BF_Region ;
            Support OMEGA ; Entity OMEGA ; }
        }
        Constraint {
        }
    }
}

Formulation {
    { Name Uform ; Type FemEquation ;
        Quantity {
            { Name u; Type Local;  NameOfSpace FSU; }
            { Name uo; Type Local;  NameOfSpace FSU0; }
        }
        Equation {
                // div( grad( u ) ) = f in Omega (Surface)
                Galerkin { [ Dof{d u} , {d u} ] ; In OMEGA ; Jacobian
Vol ; Integration Int ; }
                Galerkin { [ -f[] , {u} ] ; In OMEGA ; Jacobian Vol ;
Integration Int ; }
                Galerkin { [ -g[] , {u} ] ; In GAMMA ; Jacobian Sur ;
Integration Int ; }
                Galerkin { [ Dof{u} , {uo} ] ; In OMEGA ; Jacobian Vol ;
Integration Int ; }
                Galerkin { [ Dof{uo} , {uo} ] ; In OMEGA ; Jacobian Vol
; Integration Int ; }
        }
    }
}
---

This e-mail (including any attachments) is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not an intended recipient or an authorized representative of an intended recipient, you are prohibited from using, copying or distributing the information in this e-mail or its attachments. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies of this message and any attachments.
Thank you.