[Getdp] Eddy Current Testing in getDP

Mengelkamp Judith TU Ilmenau Judith.Mengelkamp at tu-ilmenau.de
Fri Jun 19 14:18:37 CEST 2015

Dear getDP-users,

I am currently struggling with simulating Eddy Current Testing in getDP. I have implemented a simplified model (one turn as an excitation coil with sinusoidal source current and a metal sheet as test specimen). I use an A-V-formulation (magnetic vector potential and electric scalar potential). I use a theta-time scheme for the time-varying source current in the coil. My current .geo and .pro-files are in the appendix. The magnetic field of the coil is calculated correctly in time, however the eddy current induced in the conductor result into zero and I don't have an explanation for that. Further, the magnetic vector potential doesn't change in time and the electric potential is not defined in all volume elements of the air. I would be very pleased if someone could help me with these issues. Here are some remarks concerning my implementation:

-          The fifth integral term in the Formulation constraints the gradient of the electric potential at the surface of the conductor. Because I didn't know how to implement this as a constraint, I put this term in the formulation and use a user-defined function for the normal component. Is this ok?

-          I set the electric potential in a randomly chosen point to zero to ensure the solution is unique.

-          I also noticed that the magnetic field in the conductor is relatively high and does not change in time.

Because I am quite new to getDP...is there any paper or similar that describes finite element calculations with eddy currents?

Thank you very much in advance,
Judith.

M.Sc. Judith Mengelkamp

Technische Universität Ilmenau
Institut für Biomedizinische Technik und Informatik (Institute for Biomedical Engineering and Informatics)
Fachgebiet Biomedizinische Technik (Biomedical Engineering Group)

Phone: +49 3677 69-1958
Fax:       +49 3677 69-1311
e-mail:  judith.mengelkamp at tu-ilmenau.de