[Getdp] Induction_Motor_TimeSteping_Initial_Values

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Sun Mar 27 10:05:03 CEST 2016

Hi Nicola,

This is indeed a good idea. There are several ways you can impose the initial values. I think that the easiest in your case is to directly specify the constraint (of Init type) in the function space of the relevant quantities (the vector magnetic potential a; as well as the current Iz if you have circuit relations), using a list of values extracted from the first time-harmonic solution.

(The small technical issue that prevents the use of the classical "TransferSolution" method is that the frequency-domain formulation leads to different degrees of freedom (they are complex) than the time-domain formulation: you can thus not simply transfer values from one system to the other: the unknown vector is different.)

In order to import list of values for the Init constraint, you could do as follows:

- perform the time-harmonic simulation, followed by a PostOperation that
   - plots the (real part of the) vector potential in the domain, and export it as a "NodeTable" file ("Format NodeTable")
   - saves the value of the current in a run-time variable (StoreInVariable $MyCurrent)
- add an "Init" type constraint for the relevant quantities in the function spaces used for the time-domain solution
   - for the vector potential, use "Value ValueFromIndex[MyPotential[]], where MyPotential[] = ListFromFile[]{MyNodeTableFile.txt}
   - for the current, use "Value $MyCurrent"

Let us know how this works out. If it works well we might want to add this to the template.

Christophe