GMSH with linux and OpenGL

Christophe Geuzaine Christophe.Geuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Thu May 17 10:46:04 CEST 2001

"Steffens-Jr, Alfred P" wrote:

> Christophe,
>
> I'm just now now answering your reply from May 2.  My linux distribution
> (Slackware, 2.2.13 kernel, glibc 2.1.2) has the Mesa 3.0 libraries, with
> libGL.so linked to libMesaGL.so.3 .  The loader says "libGL.so.1 not found".
> When I try to force it by making a phony link to libGL.so.1, I get an error
> message, "error in loading shared libraries: undefined symbol:
> XShmQueryVersion".  The Mesa libraries seem to work, or at least the glxdemo
> program works.  As to whether other OpenGL programs work, I am not certain.
> I have a graphics program called "GMV", whose binary was named "linuxMesa,"
> and it works.

Maybe the problem comes from my Linux packaging: Linux versions are
dynamically linked against Mesa-3.2. Could you tell me if it works if
you replace your 3.0 libs by newer ones?

The strange thing is that I received this bug report for a HP user of
Gmsh, who is using Mesa-3.1:

> > following message: "/usr/lib/dld.sl: Unresolved symbol: XShmQueryVersion
> > (code)".
> > When I disable double buffering with the command line option "-nodb",
> > Gmsh works great...

So I think there must be some incompatibilities between the different
versions of Mesa/OpenGL... Your feedback is really welcome of you find
out what's happening. I'll try to install an older version of Mesa on
our Linux box when I have some spare time.

> A secondary problem:  I tried running it as command-line only program by
> using "gmsh filename.geo -2", but gmsh finds nonexistent syntax errors in
> the .geo file.  The same file works under the WinNT version of GMSH.

Maybe this is a problem of "carriage return" with files created on
Windows. What is your version of Gmsh? I fixed this problem in version
1.17. Otherwise, send me the problematic file, and I'll investigate.

My best,

Christophe Geuzaine

Tel: 32 (0) 4 366 37 10    http://geuz.org
Fax: 32 (0) 4 366 29 10    mailto:Christophe.Geuzaine at ulg.ac.be