[Gmsh] gmesh // char. lenth, unv format

Christophe Geuzaine Christophe.Geuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Tue Jul 31 09:42:09 CEST 2001

Alper Corlu wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> thanks for the answer. But to tell the truth I am a beginner on finite
> element method and mesh generation, so the only thing I know about mesh
> size in a mesh is the max of the diameters of the elements (diameter of an
> element defined as the largest edge of the element) in the volume.
>  1)So what do you mean by mesh sizes at each point? (you may just show me
> a reference on meshing or finite element)

In Gmsh, the mesh size is defined as

- the length of the segment for lines
- the radius of the circumscribed circle for triangles
- the radius of the circumscribed sphere for tetrahedra

A nice book on mesh generation is

@book{georges-delaunay-97,
  author =	 "P. L. Georges and H. Borouchaki",
  title =	 "Triangulation de Delaunay et maillage",
  publisher =	 HERMES,
  year =	 1997
}

It's in french, but I think there is an english translation, too.

>  2) What is the unv format? Is it some standard file output for
> meshes? Can you supply info or reference on this format?

The unv format is the "universal" file format produced by IDEAS (from
SDRC). If you don't know this format, my advice is: don't use it! :-)
The native Gmsh file format is much simpler, and much smaller...

Christophe