[Gmsh] 3d mesh generation for a simple volume

Fred Nastos nastos at physics.utoronto.ca
Sat Sep 20 06:35:35 CEST 2003

Hi,

I just found out about the Gmsh webpage, via links from POVRAY, and I
have a question regarding the generation of a 3-d tetrahedral mesh.  I
am very ineterested in using this program for a variety of projects.

I have a relatively simple meshing task.  I start with a tetrahedron,
and I'd like to be able to generate a fine tetrahedral mesh throughout
the original tetrahedron.  The purpose of the grid is to perform a
numerical integral (whose function is well suited for such a grid).
That is, I want to generate a mesh specifying micro-tetrahedra
throughout the original volume.  Ideally, every micro-tetrahedron
would have the same volume.  Is it possible to do this with Gmesh?

Clearly, in some cases it is quite easy to do this "by hand".  For
example, by dividing each edge of the terhadron into two, you can
easily get 10 new equal-volume micro-tetrahedra, but it is not as
easy (at least for me) to obtain the tetrahedra that correspond to
dividing the edges into three.

Thank you for your time,

Fred