[Gmsh] Help with 3D mesh

Carrasco, Cesar J. ccarras at utep.edu
Thu Jun 10 20:30:56 CEST 2004

Hello,

I am trying to develop a 3D mesh of a pavement section with several
layers of materials.  The pavement section will be loaded on a small
patch of about 6in (tire pressure).
I successfully generated a 2D mesh that behaves exactly the way I want
it to.  For the 2D mesh we would use an axisymmetric analysis.
I am attaching the geometry file for the 2D mesh.
What I want to do for the 3D mesh is to have something similar to the
2D.  What I have done is duplicate the 2D geometry rotated an angle of
pi/2 radians.  This would constitute just one of the quadrants of the 3D
mesh.  What I was trying to do next was to create the volumes between
these two rotated planes.  I connected the two planes with the
corresponding lines for just one of the volumes and created the
necessary surfaces.  Then I created the volume.  When I try to mesh the
volume, I get a series of warnings (I just copied two of them):
Warning : Coplanar points in circum sphere computation
Warning : (0,-155.24,0) (0,-148.353,0) (0,-155.24,0)
(3.61401,-151.799,-3.61401)
Needless to say, the 3D mesh does not get generated.  I am attaching the
3D geometry file.

I am generating the geometry files using a program in Matlab, since I
need to be able to change the number of pavement material layers and
their corresponding dimensions.

I am sure there is a way to do this a lot easier.

Please help!!!!

Cesar