[Gmsh] Something I want to ask about Gmsh

Christophe Geuzaine geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu
Thu Jul 22 03:01:51 CEST 2004

Chatawut Chanvanichskul wrote:

> Hello, gmsh developers
> First of all, I 'd like to  say "Big thank you" for you to devote your time to
> develop this gmsh program for public.   My name is Chatawut, a  graduate
> student in Japan and now I have just started to learn how to use gmsh.  I
> have two questions to ask you.
>
> 1.  For 3D ,   in the problem, if there are many cross sections and I make a
> geo file for each cross section.   In the combination .geo file, I want to
> extrude one cross section for distance L and from L  I want to use the
> another cross section and extrude it for distance l.

>   			|<----section 1 ------>|<------section 2 ------->|<------ ....
> distance		0      			L				     L+l
> The question is   "Can I do this by including many geo files in the
> combination geo file?"

I'm not sure I exactly understand your question, but you can indeed
include several files in your .geo file, and use any command you want in
each file--in particular "Extrude". If the geometry of the section in
each part corresponds to the geometry of the "top" of the extruded
region created in the previous part, the "Coherence" command should
remove the duplicate surfaces automatically.

> 2.  If I have data about coordinates of all nodes and element data, can I plot
> them by using gmsh?

Sure. Write them into a file using Gmsh's mesh file format (if it's only
a mesh) or using one of the post-processing file formats (if you have
data associated with the nodes). See the reference manual for a
description of these file formats.

Best,

Christophe Geuzaine
Applied and Computational Mathematics, Caltech
geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu - http://geuz.org