[Gmsh] some comments on Gmsh

Berger Karl Karl.Berger at arsenal.ac.at
Tue Nov 21 18:54:52 CET 2006

Hi all,

Ingo D. Rullhusen wrote
> 6.) Sometimes a parameter name appears as name in the visibility list,
> but i have found no way to specify a name of an item.

A solution is contained at the getDP wiki page, see http://geuz.org/getdp, e.g. the electrostatics example Capacitor2D:

Here names of physical objects, appearing under Gmsh's GUI tools/visibility/physical - list are defined in an extra parameter.pro file like

	LPLUS=100;

with an

	Include "parameters.pro";

statement in platehole.geo as well as in platehole.pro.

The names are synonymes to the numbers of the physical objects defined in platehole.geo, as

	Physical Line(LPLUS) = {22};

and are used in platehole.pro's group definition too, e.g.

	Lplus= #LPLUS;

The parameter file allows also sharing model dimensions in Gmsh and getDP.

I can add to Ingos list:

7.) I used a buggy for-loop with an erroneous "matching" end statement

	For i In {0:n} ... ; EndIf

without any error in the Gmsh message console (no If or other EndFor was present in the geo file) and was searching quite a while what's wrong there. Would it be possible to add some more syntax checks in the future Gmsh version?

Nice greetings from Vienna,

Karl
arsenal research

Geschäftsfeld Monitoring, Energie- und Antriebstechnik/
Business Field Monitoring, Energy and Drives Technologies

DI Karl Berger

Austria, 1210 Vienna, Giefinggasse 2
ph: +43 (0) 50550-6276, f: +43 (0) 50550-6595
mobile: +43 (0)664/ 82 51 033
karl.berger at arsenal.ac.at
www.arsenal.ac.at