[Gmsh] Building models that contain step files

Jacques Kools jacques.kools at insilicio.com
Fri Feb 16 14:59:26 CET 2007

Hello Christophe,

Hope you are doing fine. I have been continuing to play with step files, and
here are a few of my observations:

My goal is to build a volume around a hole defined in a step file ( similar
to this post : http://geuz.org/pipermail/gmsh/2007/002380.html ).

I am working with the first file of the *.step benchmarks available at
<http://www.cax-if.org/library/index.html>
http://www.cax-if.org/library/index.html

When I merge the step file in a geo file, I can modify the characteristic
lengths, mesh 2D, and that all works fine. Great !!!

Now, I build a box around it, and here are a few points:

1° When using the GUI to create new geometric entities or points after the
merge, the counter starts at 1, and this leads to confusion. Is easily
remedied by starting the numbering of elements and points of the box at 101.

2         When I try to define a volume with the surfaces of the step file
as hole, I get an error message when selecting them.

3         I therefore mesh the hole in 2D and save as an stl file (
piece.stl), because the above post indicated that that should work.

Unfortunately, it does not work. I checked the falcon.stl and falcon.geo
files of the above-mentioned post, and they are meshing fine.

Any comments ?

Grtngs,

J.

P.S.: Why is the box surface meshed very coarsely, independent of the lc
that I put in ?