[Gmsh] Boundary Layer

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Wed May 16 07:59:59 CEST 2007

Patrick Bourdin wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> I just tried the BL extrusion command. Neat!
> 1st question: Is there any means to control the expansion ratio of the
> cells within the extruded mesh?

You can specify the expansion ratio by giving a list of "heights" for
each layer of cells. For example, the following command will extrude 2
layers with one cell per layer, the first layer with height 0.1, the
second with height 0.3-0.1=0.2:

Extrude { Surface{1}; Layers{ {1,1}, {0.1,0.3}}; }

If you need a complex grading, the easiest is probably to define lists
for the layers and heights, e.g.:

cells[0] = 1;
heights[0] = 0.1;
For i In {1:10}
  cells[i] = 1;
  heights[i] = heights[i-1] * 2;
EndFor
Extrude { Surface{1}; Layers{ cells[], heights[] }; }

> 2nd question: How to avoid the collapsing of the upper and lower layers
> at the *sharp* trailing edge of an airfoil (see pic attached)? Ideally I
> would like to extend those layers in the wake. I tried to append a wake
> surface (in fact a wedge with a very thin apex angle) to the trailing
> edge and grow a BL mesh on it, but didn't work, I still have the same
> problem at the trailing edge. Any idea?

We need to implement one of the classical methods proposed in the
literature to deal with this (as well as with reentrant corners): normal
smoothing, multiple normals per point on sharp edges, ...