[Gmsh] convert to .STL

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Tue Oct 30 20:31:52 CET 2007

Hassan KHALIL wrote:
> Dear author
>

> I utilize GMSH to visualise the format .MSH and to convert this format
> to .STL (stereolithography)
>
> In this file (.MSH) , there are 6 physical volume.
>
> I want to visualize 3 physical volume and to convert to .STL
>

>  this is possible ou NO?

You can do this:

Merge "yourmesh.msh"; // load your mesh
Delete Physicals; // delete the existing physicals
Physical Surface(1) = {xxx}; // define new physical
Physical Surface(2) = {xxx}; // define new physical

Then export as STL, which will only save the new physical surfaces.

Note that at the moment you cannot export *volumes* in STL format, only
surfaces. Are volumes part of the STL spec??