[Gmsh] Node ordering for quadratic elements

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Sun Feb 24 18:56:14 CET 2008

Kris Van den Abeele wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Kris Van den Abeele, I am a PhD student at VUB (research
> group of Prof Lacor). I am working on the development high-order
> Spectral Volume and Spectral Difference methods, which I implement in
> the VKI COOLFluiD code. I've been using Gmsh (Version 2.0.8, on Linux)
> as a mesh generator for a long time now and I am very happy with it.
>
> Lately, I've been creating meshes consisting of quadratic (27 nodes)
> hexahedral elements, and I've encountered a problem. On the website, I
> have not found the order in which the nodes of such a quadratic
> hexahedron are written to the mesh file. I have two different meshes,
> and it seems that for two different meshes, the order in which the nodes
> are outputted differs (more specifically for the nodes that lie in the
> center of a face).

Hi Kris - The second order nodes are given in the following order:
first, the nodes associated with edges are given in the order of the
edges; then, the nodes associated with faces are given in the order of
the faces. The ordering of the edges and the faces is given here:

http://geuz.org/gmsh/doc/texinfo/gmsh_10.html#SEC71

Can you check if your meshes are consistent with the docs? If not, it's
a bug and we will fix it.

Take care,
Christophe