[Gmsh] API access?

Pierre JUILLARD pierre.juillard at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 13:26:45 CET 2009

Hi all!

I come back to this thread with some suggestions/questions.
As Billy, I am aware that this might be too much work and may be difficult
to do without funding.

--------------------------

I would like to know if python may be supported?

Either, GMSH functions may be available through a python API.
Or there could be an integrated python interpreter to execute through GMSH
python scripts, while having access to GMSH data (node coordinates, element
connectivity, and so on...)

The idea is that python is quite widespread in CAx software (FreeCAD,
Code_Aster, Metafor, ParaView, and so on...) Then, if one wants to implement
a writer for a given format, that would be easy in python.

--------------------------

But maybe another track could be interesting as well.
The idea is similar with what has been done with Octaviz, which was
mentionned in a VTK thread yesterday. (http://octaviz.sourceforge.net/)

As indicated "Octaviz provides wrappers for VTK classes but at the same time
it provides a bunch of high level functions, among them vtk_surf which does
the same as the Matlab surf function."

Could the same approach be used with GMSH: having the possibility to have
access to all the VTK functions, which provide most notably writers for
various formats?

Or on the opposite, could GMSH be packaged as ParaView plug-in(s)?
Thus we could achieve meshing in ParaView and benefit from the available
writers to export it in any formats.
Writers can be added in ParaView "quite" easily (eitehr in python or C++)

Oï, that was just a bunch of ideas.
Again, I am aware that this might be too much work, but maybe not everything
I said is silly.

Thanks for this great project!

Pierre