[Gmsh] Issues with compiling GMSH 2.2.1 with MED support

CEM ALBUKREK calbukrek at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 18:21:24 CET 2009

Hello,

I am trying to compile GMSH 2.2.1 from source with MED support. For some
reason I can not have the MED libraries detected.
All the remaining libraries including IGES/STEP support from OpenCascade
works perfectly fine. Any guidance, ideas to resolve the issue?
Thank you in advance for your help.

---

DETAIL ON WHAT I AM DOING:

I put the Med-2.3.4 folder in the contrib/ directory of GMSH with contents
as below:

contrib/Med/include:
MEDerreur.hxx  med.h  med.hf  MEDimport.h  MEDimport.hxx  med_proto.h
med_utils.h  med_win_dll.h

contrib/Med/lib:
libmed.a   libmedC.la  libmedC.so.2    libmedimportcxx.a
libmedimportcxx.so    libmedimport.la  libmedimport.so.0  libmed.so
libmedC.a  libmedC.so  libmedimport.a  libmedimportcxx.la
libmedimportcxx.so.0  libmedimport.so  libmed.la          libmed.so.2

Then I use the following command to configure the makefile:

./configure --enable-occ --with-occ-prefix=`pwd`/contrib/OpenCascade
--enable-med --with-med-prefix=`pwd`/contrib/Med

which returns [note the "checking for main in -lmed... no" line]:

checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for ar... /usr/bin/ar
checking for fltk-config... /usr/bin/fltk-config
checking for ./contrib/NativeFileChooser/Fl_Native_File_Chooser.cxx... yes
checking for main in -ljpeg... yes
checking for main in -lz... yes
checking for main in -lpng... yes
checking for main in -lm... yes
checking for vsnprintf... yes
checking for snprintf... yes
checking for ./contrib/ANN/include/ANN/ANN.h... yes
You are building a version of Gmsh that contains ANN, the
Approximate Nearest Neighbor library.
Please note that by doing so, you agree with ANN's licensing
requirements stated in ./contrib/ANN/Copyright.txt.
To disable ANN, run configure again with the --disable-ann
option.
checking for ./contrib/Metis/metis.h... yes
checking for ./contrib/Netgen/libsrc/meshing/meshclass.cpp... yes
You are building a version of Gmsh that contains Joachim Schoberl's
Netgen as an alternative 3D mesh generator. Netgen is distributed
under the GNU LGPL: see ./contrib/Netgen/COPYING.LIB for more info.
To disable Netgen, run configure again with the --disable-netgen
option.
checking for ./contrib/Tetgen/tetgen.h... yes
You are building a version of Gmsh that contains Hang Si's
Tetgen as an alternative 3D mesh generator.
Please note that by doing so, you agree with Tetgen's licensing
requirements stated in ./contrib/Tetgen/LICENSE. (Most notably, you
may then only redistribute Gmsh for non-commercial purposes.)
To disable Tetgen, run configure again with the --disable-tetgen
option.
checking for ./contrib/MathEval/matheval.cpp... yes
checking for main in -lgslcblas... yes
checking for main in -lgsl... yes
checking for main in -lTKernel... yes
checking for g77... g77
checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler... yes
checking whether g77 accepts -g... yes
checking for dasum in -lblas... yes
checking for dbdsqr in -llapack... yes
checking for main in -lFourierModel... no
checking for main in -lhdf5... yes
checking for main in -lmed... no
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... g++ -E
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for size_t... yes
checking size of size_t... 4
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating variables
Gmsh is configured for
- OS           : Linux on goldenhorn.caebridge.com
- C compiler   : gcc
- C++ compiler : g++
- Linker       : g++
- Optimization : -g -O2 -pthread
- Options      : -DHAVE_LIBZ -DHAVE_GSL -DHAVE_MATH_EVAL -DHAVE_TETGEN
-DHAVE_NETGEN -DHAVE_ANN -DHAVE_LIBPNG -DHAVE_LIBJPEG -DHAVE_FLTK
-DHAVE_OCC -I/opt/gmsh/gmsh-2.2.1-CEM/contrib/OpenCascade/inc
To fine-tune the configuration, edit the 'variables' file

----

CEM