[Gmsh] Regular-triangle mesh generation problem

Daniel Vieira Soares vortex at daniel.vs.nom.br
Fri Feb 13 02:09:24 CET 2009

Hi,

I am facing a problem when I try to create structured triangle meshes. I
want to produce a triangular mesh whose elements are defined by parallel
lines, or better, with lines that connect respective pairs from the boundary
- figure triang01.jpg attached shows that.

When I create a transfinite triangular mesh with 16 elements (17 nodes) per
boundary, I usually get the elements of the mesh defined by baselines that
describe some sort of an arc around the first boundary point given to the
algorithm (shown in figure triang02.jpg attached is an example, when the
right angle node is the first point given to the transfinite surface
algorithm).

The mesh in triang01.jpg is created by defining all transfinite lines with 2
nodes, and then refining over and over. This obviously restrict my meshing
options (and isn't desirable), because this way I cannot define a
progression which the elements of some chosen boundary must obey.

I don't really like the mesh created in the normal way (triang02.jpg)
because the elements around the "center" point (in this case, the right
angle node) are too narrow, or in another way, are too degenerated when
compared to other elements, and my simulation program is (too much) badly
affected by this.

Can someone help me with this???

Cheers,

Daniel

P.S. If there is any problem in accessing the images, I can put them online
in my webhost.