[Gmsh] Regular-triangle mesh generation problem

Daniel Vieira Soares vortex at daniel.vs.nom.br
Fri Feb 13 18:35:25 CET 2009

Hi David,

The .geo file has the following contents:

Point(1) = {0, 0, 0};
Point(2) = {4, 0, 0};
Point(3) = {0, 3, 0};
Line(1) = {1, 2};
Line(2) = {2, 3};
Line(3) = {3, 1};
Line Loop(4) = {1, 2, 3};
Plane Surface(5) = {4};
Transfinite Line {1, 2, 3} = 2 Using Progression 1;
Transfinite Surface {5} = {1, 2, 3};

The process to achieve such meshes is:

1) Go to mesh menu
2) Click on "2D" once
3) Click on "Refine" 4 times
--> at this point, you have the regular mesh I want. But I don't know a way
to change the distribution of the nodes at the boundaries, like when using a
progression factor.
4) Click on "2D" again
--> now you have the mesh that gmsh usually creates, when defining 16
elements per boundary in the transfinite algorithm. Thy to change the line
"Transfinite Line {1, 2, 3} = 2 Using Progression 1;" to "Transfinite Line
{1, 2, 3} = 17 Using Progression 1;" and check the results with the 2D mesh.

In the end, all I want is to create a regular mesh where the elements are
defined like the first one, but starting from different distributions of the
boundary nodes.

Thanks for the quick answer.

Cheers,

Daniel