[Gmsh] Blender & Gmsh

Pierre JUILLARD pierre.juillard at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 20:55:48 CEST 2009

I Dima!

Let me offer you 2 solutions. I don't think they are as good as you wish it
to be, but it should offer you nonetheless a way to link Blender to GMSH.
I have not tried myself, but see no reason why it wouldn't work.

- 1st solution
Instead of using Blender, you may wish to use FreeCAD to draw CADs. FreeCAD
is still under heavy developments, but the team is progressing at huge
strides.
They are currently integrating a constraint solver to allow CATIA or
Solidwork user having an relevant open source solution to drw CAD.
However, it is not suited for organic drawings such as Blender can be.
You will find the website here:
http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/free-cad/index.php?title=Main_Page
Do not hesitate to post in the forum if you have questions: the team is very
welcoming and answer quickly:
http://apps.sourceforge.net/phpbb/free-cad/index.php

FreeCAD is most notably based on OCC, and allow you to write CAD in brep
formats, which GMSH can read.

- 2nd solution
Yorik, one memeber of the development team of FreeCAD has written a blender
2 freecad converter.
I'm not sure if you can then write the file in brep geometry from Freecad
but you can have a look at this solution. It may help you.
http://yorik.orgfree.com/guestblog.php?2009=105

Good luck Dima!
Cheers,

Pierre