[Gmsh] gmsh

David Colignon David.Colignon at ulg.ac.be
Tue Jul 28 08:28:58 CEST 2009

Joakim Sandström wrote:
> Dear sir
>
> I have become a fond user of gmsh when creating geometries for thermal
> calculations. I’ve run in to trouble in these calculations when the
> temperature gradient is very steep with a mesh that is to coarse. The
> problem is that I do not need a fine mesh anywhere else but close to the
> certain boundaries where the temperature gradient is steep. Creating a
> fine mesh in the whole volume demands to much computational time. Is
> there a way to separately specify the grid size within different
> physical groups?
>
> Is there also a way to specify which types of element to be generated? I
> would like to be able to produce only prisms or hexahedrons. I’m using
> Gmsh as a mesh generator for SAFIR (a thermal and mechanical FEM-solver
> for fire exposed structures developed at University of Liege) and it can
> only understand prisms and hexahedrons in the 3-D case.

Hi,

The 2D structured algorithms (transfinite and extrusion) generate triangles by default, but quadrangles can be obtained
by using the Recombine commands (see 6.3.2 Structured grids, and 6.3.3 Miscellaneous). The 3D structured algorithms
generate tetrahedra, hexahedra, prisms and pyramids, depending on the type of the surface meshes they are based on.

see

http://www.geuz.org/gmsh/doc/texinfo/gmsh-full.html#SEC40

tutorial n° 3

http://www.geuz.org/gmsh/doc/texinfo/gmsh-full.html#SEC66