[Gmsh] Coloring the mesh + symmetry question

Guido Valerio guido.valerio at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 14:02:24 CEST 2009

Dear all,

i'm new to Gmsh and i'm trying to mesh a simple rectangle with a wire
attached to it, and then writing everything in a ".unv" file (i'm attaching
both the .geo, .msh and .unv file). I have problems in performing some
operations.

1) Is it possible to require that two opposite sides of the rectangle be
meshed with the same nodes (apart a translation?). For example, side x=0 has
nodes (0, y_n, 0), side x=a has nodes (a, y_n, 0). If, so, is it possible to
require this for two opposite faces of a solid, e.g. side x=0 has nodes (0,
y_n, z_m), side x=a has nodes (a, y_n, z_m)?

2) Also, is it possible to require a symmetric mesh with respect to a point,
one or more lines, or one or more surfaces (on a symmetric object, of
course)?

3) Is it possible to set different colors on different elements of the mesh?
I need to use color A for all the 2-node lines, color B for all the
triangles not touching side x=0 of the rectangle, color C for all the
triangles touching side x=0 of the rectangle. In doing this, I have two
problems:

3a) I cannot assign different colors to the different triangles, and
3b) I cannot save the colors of the elements in the ".unv" file. I get
always a '7' in the place of the color for all the elements. I would need to
change that number.

Sorry if some of the points are trivial, or too weird to have them
implemented.

Thank you very much for the attention and congratulation for designing such
a useful and easy-to-use software.

Guido