[Gmsh] Coloring the mesh + symmetry question

David Colignon David.Colignon at ulg.ac.be
Fri Aug 7 08:44:40 CEST 2009

Guido Valerio wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> i'm new to Gmsh and i'm trying to mesh a simple rectangle with a wire
> attached to it, and then writing everything in a ".unv" file (i'm
> attaching both the .geo, .msh and .unv file). I have problems in
> performing some operations.
>
> 1) Is it possible to require that two opposite sides of the rectangle be
> meshed with the same nodes (apart a translation?). For example, side x=0
> has nodes (0, y_n, 0), side x=a has nodes (a, y_n, 0). If, so, is it
> possible to require this for two opposite faces of a solid, e.g. side
> x=0 has nodes (0, y_n, z_m), side x=a has nodes (a, y_n, z_m)?

Hi Guido,

yes, it is very simple with extrusion (Extrude and Transfinite commands). See
http://www.geuz.org/gmsh/doc/texinfo/gmsh-full.html#SEC40  and
http://www.geuz.org/gmsh/doc/texinfo/gmsh-full.html#SEC45

and also the three first tutorials: http://www.geuz.org/gmsh/doc/texinfo/gmsh-full.html#SEC64

> 2) Also, is it possible to require a symmetric mesh with respect to a
> point, one or more lines, or one or more surfaces (on a symmetric
> object, of course)?

It depends on your geometry, but it should be doable with extruded meshes.

> 3) Is it possible to set different colors on different elements of the
> mesh?

No. You can set the color of different parts of the mesh, but not on a per element basis.

http://www.geuz.org/gmsh/doc/texinfo/gmsh-full.html#SEC46

Color color-expression { Point | Line | Surface | Volume { expression-list }; ... }
     Sets the mesh color of the entities in expression-list to color-expression.

Cheers,

Dave

--
David Colignon, Ph.D.
Collaborateur Logistique du F.R.S.-FNRS

I need to use color A for all the 2-node lines, color B for all