[Gmsh] VTK Output With Boundary Conditions

Andrew Parker andrew.parker at cantab.net
Tue Aug 25 10:52:42 CEST 2009

Dear Sir,

I really like gmsh.  I would like to use it at the start of my process
chain.  What I'd like to do is the following:  Obtain an STL file from
somewhere, using a geo file merge in the stl file, possibly constructing
additional boundaries, and then crutially, give each surface of the geometry
a physical boundary name i.e: Physical Surface("Outlet") = {21};.  This is
really good for me as the downstream use is a CFD solver.  I need to have
strings/flags on the triangles of all surfaces, so that I can apply the
correct physics.   I'd then like to use the 2D mesh option to mesh all of
these surfaces.  But, then I'd like to exit gmsh, my downstream process
constructs the volume mesh.

However, what I'd like to read into my downstream process is the output of
gmsh which are meshed surfaces and crucially the boundary names which I gave
them. I'd like if possible if this output could be in the form of vtk.  So
far the only format that I can see that exports the boundary
condition/surface names is your own msh format, having looked in the ascii
vtk file it does not contain these names.

Is it a) possible to do this using vtk, can you attribute a
flag/name/string/ to a face of a tet or surface of a triangle??  b) if so
would it be possible for gmsh to provide this export directly contained
within the vtk file written out by gmsh.

Many thanks, hope you don't mind me asking.

Andy

--

  Dr Andrew Parker

  Em at il:  andrew.parker at cantab.net