[Gmsh] background mesh (version 2.4.2)

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Thu Mar 4 08:23:52 CET 2010

On 03/03/10 17:27, Danny Lathouwers - TNW wrote:
> Dear gmsh community,
> I am trying to use the background mesh feature of gmsh for adaptive
> meshing of my physical problem. I am having difficulties with this
> feature probably because of misuse. Here's what I do:
> 1. I read the geometry file.
> 2. I merge the previously made mesh file.
> 3. I merge the data containing the target mesh sizes (NodeData based
> although I tried ElementData as well)
> 4. Mark the view containing the data as background mesh.
> 5. Mesh the geometry through the menu.
> Gmsh then fails generating all kinds of errors. I have attached the
> files I have used.
> If I look at the manual and the example given, it seems to use a pos
> file as background mesh. I however thought that the preferred way for
> large datafile transfer to gmsh was to use the procedure indicated above
> (at least for postprocessing).

Hi Danny - Indeed, that's a limitation of the current version: you
cannot use a post-processing file based on a model/mesh as a background
mesh for the same model/mesh (basically, as you remesh, the original
mesh is destroyed, which also invalidates the post-processing view...)

At the moment you should use a "list-based" post-processing file (a .pos
file). We will fix this in a future release.

Thanks for the report,

Christophe