[Gmsh] Recombine in mixed structured/unstructured grid

Ray Chen sunray.chen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 10:16:39 CEST 2011

Hi Gmsh team,

  I would like to ask for some gmsh instructions for creating a mixed
structured/unstructured grid with the recombine feature.
In my geometry, there are three volumes.  The 1st volume is created by
extruding both surface and mesh which is a structured one.
Based on the surfaces of 1st volume, the 2nd and 3rd ones are created by
point -> line -> surface -> volume,
and the meshes for these two are unstructured.

Everything works well as long as the "Recombine" option in the extrude
command is not active.
Once the "Recombine" is active in the extrude command, gmsh reports errors
and is unable to create meshes in 2nd and 3rd volumes.
My question is:  Is it possible to "Recombine" only some selected volumes in
the geometry using extrude command?
If it's possible, please show me how.

Thank you for your time and attention on this!

Sincerely,

Ray Chen