[Gmsh] 3D Mesh Trouble

jume5347 at uni.sydney.edu.au jume5347 at uni.sydney.edu.au
Tue Jan 24 05:48:14 CET 2012

Dear Gmsh team,

I will try to keep this as concise and descriptive as possible. I am quite new to this meshing software.

My problem is this: I am trying to build a 3D mesh in gmsh script files (.geo). When I try to generate the 3D mesh I receive an error that informs me that I have intersecting surfaces. I understand where the intersecting surfaces are and why gmsh is complaining; this is not the problem. The problem is, I don't see how I can avoid having intersecting surfaces to achieve the geometry that I need.

I have attached a screen shot of the geometry: I hope you can see that it is simply a rectangular prism, with a smaller rectangular prism extending outwards from one of the sides.

Obviously, the two rectangular prisms have an intersecting surface, but this seems unavoidable? Is there no way to create a mesh for the entire volume as a whole?

If it is any help: I need to have two separate physical volume groups so that I can assign each different material properties. I just don't see how I can create the two distinct volumes that I need without a common intersecting edge?

I hope my problem is clear. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Jack