[Gmsh] Export to Iges, Step, Brep

Mira Lennis mira_lennis at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 23 20:50:49 CEST 2012

Hello everyone!
I'm new to gmsh for since this june. I have been creative with gmsh 2.5 and it dawned to me the more I build that I needed to export to a geometry format in order to save and use the work I have put forth.
I just got gmsh 2.6 today. And I'm very happy my wishes got granted.
I would like to thank the developers for including the export for Step and Brep.

Thank you very much! <3

I've heard gmsh deals a bit different between Iges and Step so I'm still missing the export to Iges but Step will have to do.

Anyway, since I was trying out with an iges file I have noticed a perhaps worse difference between gmsh 2.5 and 2.6. The case is re-creatable, though, I'm not sure how it worked out for 2.5 anymore.
I created a closed lines of 6 splines on a plane with the intention to save as a geo file and to mesh it in gmsh for testing. I know 4 splines are allowed for a plane but it did work fine anyway.
So I import iges files, go to geometry to add a plane, gmsh tells me I want to have 'Merge "test_sol0.igs";'  in my geo file. From here is crashes (both 2.5 and 2.6).
Now I got the geo file correctly. From here it's different.

For some reason I managed to get a complete iges to geo translation with gmsh 2.5. Loading it worked fine, too. I'm sorry I don't remember how I did it with gmsh 2.5 anymore.

However, I simply can't recreate the translation process with gmsh 2.6 now. Gmsh simply crashes.