[Gmsh] Problem creating mesh

Jackson Penelope A pajackson at mail.dstl.gov.uk
Mon Jun 25 11:53:24 CEST 2012

I am trying to do a simple example for Fluidity which first requires me to set up a mesh in Gmsh, but it's not working and I can't see why. I am using the following .geo file:

Point(1) = {5.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.1};
Point(2) = {35.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.1};
Point(3) = {35.0, 2.0, 0.0, 0.1};
Point(4) = {30.0, 2.0, 0.0, 0.05};
Point(5) = {30.0, 4.05, 0.0, 0.1};
Point(6) = {0.0, 4.05, 0.0, 0.1};
Point(7) = {0.0, 2.05, 0.0, 0.1};
Point(8) = {5.0, 2.0, 0.0, 0.05};
Point(9) = {5.0, 2.05, 0.0, 0.05};
Point(10) = {30.0, 2.05, 0.0, 0.05};

Line(1) = {1,2};
Line(2) = {2,3};
Line(3) = {3,4};
Line(4) = {4,8};
Line(5) = {8,1};
Line(6) = {7,9};
Line(7) = {9,10};
Line(8) = {10,5};
Line(9) = {5,6};
Line(10) = {6,7};
Line(11) = {8,9};
Line(12) = {10,4};

Line Loop(13) = {1,2,3,4,5};
Line Loop(14) = {6,7,8,9,10};
Line Loop(15) = {4,11,7,12};

Plane Surface(16) = {13};
Plane Surface(17) = {14};
Plane Surface(18) = {15};

Line Loop(19) = {1,2,3,-12,8,9,10,6,-11,5};
Physical Surface(20) = {13,14,15};

//Inflows
Physical Line(21) = {2};
Physical Line(22) = {10};
//Outlets
Physical Line(23) = {5};
Physical Line(24) = {8};
//Top and bottom
Physical Line(25) = {9};
Physical Line(26) = {1};
//Less sure about these
Physical Line(27) = {6,11};
Physical Line(28) = {3,12};

The commands "gmsh -2 -v 0 a2wayflow.geo" and "gmsh -2 -v 0 a2wayflow.geo" both seem to work fine. The problem occurs when I do "gmsh2triangle -2 a2wayflow.msh" for use in Fluidity, I get the error "Unable to determine dimension of problem". Using the GUI, pretty much the same thing happens. Mesh generates no problem, looks OK, saves without complaining, then running the gmsh2triangle command gets the same error message.

I've thoroughly looked at it several times and a colleague who is much more experienced with it than me can't spot the problem either, can you tell me where I'm going wrong? Or is the problem at the Fluidity end?

Penny Jackson.
Penelope Jackson
Scientist
[dstl] Sensors & Countermeasures Department
Rm 101, iSAT-C, Bldg 5
Dstl Porton Down
T  9 6801 8413

"This e-mail and any attachment(s) is intended for the recipient only.   Its unauthorised use,
disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted.  Communications with Dstl are monitored and/or
recorded for system efficiency and other lawful purposes, including business intelligence, business
metrics and training.  Any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect Dstl policy."

"If you are not the intended recipient, please remove it from your system and notify the author of
the email and centralenq at dstl.gov.uk"