[Gmsh] holes intersect boundary

Geordie McBain gdmcbain at freeshell.org
Thu Sep 6 15:57:52 CEST 2012

2012/9/6 Nico Schlömer <nico.schloemer at gmail.com>:
> Maybe this didn't come through quite right: I'm not interested in the
> intersection surface at all; all I want to do is carve cavities out of an
> existing block of "material". Suppose I have a cube with edge length 10
> centered around the origin, and I want to carve out two ball cavities with
> each radius 1.5 centered at (1,0,0) and (-1,0,0), respectively, then gmsh
> would already bail out.

No, I'm afraid the previous comments still apply.

> And by the way, what would you say is a good "solid modeler"?

I've had success using FreeCAD or BRL-CAD with Gmsh, though there are
other packages out there that I haven't tried that might be as good or
better.  As D. C. said, anything you can export STEP from is good, but
even anything that can only export STL is usable: just export one STL
file per Physical Surface and define the contained volume in Gmsh.